Ending the bear bile industry
Across Asia, over 20,000 bears are kept in captivity for their bile, which is extracted using cruel, painful procedures and sold as traditional medicine. These captive bears suffer in filthy and cramped conditions, often in cages no bigger than phone booths.
But the bear bile industry is completely unnecessary — plentiful and inexpensive synthetic and herbal alternatives to bear bile are readily available.
What we're doing
- Joining with partners, including governments, global bodies, local partners and individuals, to stop bears being exploited and to create lasting change.
- Promoting better welfare for captive bears, while we move to end the bear bile industry for good.
- Seeking laws, policies, monitoring and enforcement to ensure that captive bears are given space to move, provided with richer environments and are protected from all forms of bile extraction and exploitation.
- Raising awareness of alternatives to bear bile, including herbal and synthetic products, which are readily available, affordable and effective.
- Working with local organizations to urge governments to live up to their international commitments to protect bears and other wild animals.
How you can help
- Never purchase products made from bear bile or other wildlife parts.
- Share this page with your friends and family, so they can learn about this issue.
- Make a donation to support our work to end the bear bile industry.
Support our work to end the bear bile industry
With your support, we can stop bears being subjected to a lifetime of pain and distress in the bear bile industry.