Plan ahead to protect your pet when disaster strikes
Floods, fires, snow storms, extreme cold and hot weather are a reality of living in Canada.
These disasters can occur at any time, and without a plan you could make panicked decisions that threaten the safety of your pet, yourself and your family.
It is vital to prepare a disaster plan for your pet – or be prepared potentially to lose each other forever.
The power of being ready
Through our work with governments, international bodies, NGOs and local and national partners, we empower communities in disaster-prone areas to prepare for the future. This can include:
- Training people to care for animals during and after disasters
- Developing community emergency plans that include animals
- Setting up early warning systems
- Helping people store and protect food and water
- Demonstrating how to safely evacuate animals from danger
- Building, strengthening and securing animal shelters
- Running vaccination programs
- Releasing public service announcements on caring for animals during disasters.